Skip to main content

HFCS Rant

Since being diagnosed with DFI, I have been reading labels more closely.   Not to say I didn't before but now I am reading labels on things you would never suspect HFCS to be added in.   So here is my rant.   Why does HFCS need to be added to beef consome, saltine crackers, cream of mushroom soup???   Was this how the recipe was intended??   I have made beef consome and mushroom soup from scratch and never once did the recipe call for HFCS.    Why does it need to be added to Crystal Light drink mixes?   Isn't this suppose to be a low calorie drink that encourages people to drink more water.   How can this be helpful?   I really hope the food industry becomes wise to exactly what adding this to products that don't need it is doing to our diets.    Yes there is some personal responsibility and we should be informed consumers.  BUT COME ON!!   I would have never guessed HFCS would be in these items until I really read the label.   I even have to ask about the coating on my medications (yes even there we find HFCS).

I hope one day we can go back to natural ingredients.  No HFCS or GMO foods.   Just what nature gives us.

Comments

  1. This posting caught my eye right away! We cut out corn syrup several years ago and found it to be one of the most pervasive harmful ingredients, second to MSG in all of its hidden forms! We live clean and simple now, we've never felt better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still amazed at all the things it is added into and people don't even know it. Drives me crazy. I thought I was informed until I was diagnosed with DFI. Now I feel even more informed about corn syrup and other names it may go by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.

Thai Inspired Lettuce Wrap

This has been a crazy week for me.   I have been in rehearsals and now performances of Carmina Burana with the MN Orchestra.  (FYI - there are still tickets for performances on Saturday and Sunday) Since I am singing, I do not want to have a heavy dinner.  It just makes the high notes flat!   So I am opting for a more substantial late lunch.   I love Thai food and have been craving it but since it can be heavy I felt inspired to create these lettuce wraps. Thai Inspired Lettuce Wraps Ingredients 1 tsp ginger (grated on a microplane) 2 cloves garlic (grated on a microplane) 2 tsps of red chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen Roasted Red Chili Paste) (feel free to add more) 1 lb ground turkey breast Canola Oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan For the wrap Romaine Lettuce Leaves Cilantro Radishes sliced Fresh Lime In a medium skill, add the oil, ginger, garlic and chili paste.   Stir until the oil gets slightly hot and the ...

A One Pot Wonder

There are days when I come home, I don't feel like pulling out all the pots and pans to make a Michelin worthy meal.  In fact it is almost every day that I feel like something fast and easy.   Although we do have Broder's Deli on spreed dial, I have been inclined to make one pot dishes reminiscent of my days as a poor student.   Unlike here in America, where as an undergrad I could sustain myself on Kraft mac n cheese or ramen noodles, in the UK students lived primarily on beans and toast or beans on baked potatoes or ... well tinned beans on anything.   Let's just say I needed a little variety.    So I learned to be resourceful and make a one pot dish that could be stretched over a few days or for a multitude of people.  This is sort of based on something my Nana use to make with rice, mushrooms, chicken stock and any spare vegetable she had around (normally peas). My One Pot Wonder 1lb ground turkey 1 small onion chopped 1 c...