Skip to main content

Feeling the Season - Pumpkin Bars

I love this time of year mainly because I love pumpkin! I get excited over the Jamba Juice Pumpkin smoothie and the pumpkin frozen yogurt.   I got the urge to bake tonight and thought about doing my lemon bars but I wanted to make some thing with pumpkin.  So I thought what about pumpkin bars but more like a lemon bar.  I used my lemon bar base and a pumpkin pie like top.  It is awesome and I decided to share.  

Pumpkin Bars

Preheat Oven 350
Grease 9 x 13 pan


Crust
:
1 cup butter
1
3/4 cup flour

2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar (plus more for dusting)


To make crust:
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and confectioner’s sugar
Cut in butter until combined and crumbly.
Press mixture into bottom of pan.
Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden.

Pumpkin Filling:
2 large eggs
1 - 15 ounce can  pure pumpkin (2 cups)
3/4 cup cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Mix
1 cups (360 ml) heavy cream
1/2 cup half & half



Pumpkin Filling:
Whisk the eggs. Add the pumpkin, sugar, vanilla extract, spices, and salt and whisk to combine. Gradually stir in the cream. Pour the filling over the pre-baked crust and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is set in the center. Remove from oven and let it cool.  When cool dust with powdered sugar.  Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS Rant

Since being diagnosed with DFI, I have been reading labels more closely.   Not to say I didn't before but now I am reading labels on things you would never suspect HFCS to be added in.   So here is my rant.   Why does HFCS need to be added to beef consome, saltine crackers, cream of mushroom soup???   Was this how the recipe was intended??   I have made beef consome and mushroom soup from scratch and never once did the recipe call for HFCS.    Why does it need to be added to Crystal Light drink mixes?   Isn't this suppose to be a low calorie drink that encourages people to drink more water.   How can this be helpful?   I really hope the food industry becomes wise to exactly what adding this to products that don't need it is doing to our diets.    Yes there is some personal responsibility and we should be informed consumers.  BUT COME ON!!   I would have never guessed HFCS would be in these items until I really read the label.   I even have to ask about the coating on my med

GF HFCS Freedom

When I was first diagnosed with DFI, I wasn't sure how shopping and eating were going to be.   I have learned grocery shopping does take what feels like 5 times longer, since I need to read every ingredients and figure out the fructose to glucose ratio.  Luckily the gluten free aspect is easier.   Though I still need to read the ingredients to make HFCS, Agave or any type sugar alcohol doesn't appear.  If it weren't for places like the Linden Hills Co-op, Whole Foods and Lunds Byerlys, I think this would be more difficult.   Favorite products so far are (please note these are products that fit the DFI lifestyle first) Namaste Brownie Mix.  Simply Organic Pumpkin Cake Whole Foods Prairie Bread.   (Most GF breads are very dry but this one is really flavorful) Quinoa Elbow Macaroni Liberte Yogurts (even the ones that are on the DFI no list seem to be fine for me ... knock on wood) Mexican Coca Cola - believe it or not this is made with sugar and not HFCS. More will b

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.