Skip to main content

Greek Inspired Potato Salad

Some time back, the hubby and I went to France 44 for wine and cheese.  We were starving, so we picked up some lunch in the cheese shop.  I had an amazing sandwich and a potato salad that I started to dream about.   It had no mayo (a plus for me since I have a weird allergy to mayo) but was so full of flavors, I had to figure out how make it at home.    I think I have come close though I have omitted some ingredients due to the DFI sensitivity.   This is perfect for potlucks and picnics since there is no mayo and it is good ice cold or room temperature.   

Greek Inspired Potato Salad (recipe inspired by France 44 potato salad)

2 lbs new red potatoes
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup of olive oil (this is an approximation since I eyeballed it)
6 oz Feta cheese
1/2 cup of Kalamata Olives (seeded and chopped)
1/2 cup fresh mint (torn leaves)
salt & pepper for taste


Boil the potatoes as usual (I add salt to my water).  When cooked (and not mushy) drain and add to icy water.  This will shock the potatoes and stop any additional cooking.

In a large bowl, add the zest, juice and olive oil.  Mix together.   Drain the potatoes and add to the lemon olive oil mixture.   Fold the potatoes until coated.

Next stir in the feta cheese, olives and mint.   Taste and add pepper and salt if desired.   If it seems dry, add more olive oil. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.

A One Pot Wonder

There are days when I come home, I don't feel like pulling out all the pots and pans to make a Michelin worthy meal.  In fact it is almost every day that I feel like something fast and easy.   Although we do have Broder's Deli on spreed dial, I have been inclined to make one pot dishes reminiscent of my days as a poor student.   Unlike here in America, where as an undergrad I could sustain myself on Kraft mac n cheese or ramen noodles, in the UK students lived primarily on beans and toast or beans on baked potatoes or ... well tinned beans on anything.   Let's just say I needed a little variety.    So I learned to be resourceful and make a one pot dish that could be stretched over a few days or for a multitude of people.  This is sort of based on something my Nana use to make with rice, mushrooms, chicken stock and any spare vegetable she had around (normally peas). My One Pot Wonder 1lb ground turkey 1 small onion chopped 1 c...

Thai Inspired Lettuce Wrap

This has been a crazy week for me.   I have been in rehearsals and now performances of Carmina Burana with the MN Orchestra.  (FYI - there are still tickets for performances on Saturday and Sunday) Since I am singing, I do not want to have a heavy dinner.  It just makes the high notes flat!   So I am opting for a more substantial late lunch.   I love Thai food and have been craving it but since it can be heavy I felt inspired to create these lettuce wraps. Thai Inspired Lettuce Wraps Ingredients 1 tsp ginger (grated on a microplane) 2 cloves garlic (grated on a microplane) 2 tsps of red chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen Roasted Red Chili Paste) (feel free to add more) 1 lb ground turkey breast Canola Oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan For the wrap Romaine Lettuce Leaves Cilantro Radishes sliced Fresh Lime In a medium skill, add the oil, ginger, garlic and chili paste.   Stir until the oil gets slightly hot and the ...