Skip to main content

Springtime Risotto

I love when Spring begins to bloom.  The Farmer's Market started last week on the Nicollet Mall.  Although there wasn't much to choose from I was able to get some morels.  The hubby and I then went to Whole Foods in Edina (mainly out of curiosity to see the new store) and I was able to pick up some asparagus and ramps.   If you haven't used ramps before you need to go and get some.   I lovely them grilled and use the leaves to make ramp butter.  

So on Saturday night, we had good friends over for dinner.   Since I had these wonderful ingredients I decided to make a Spring inspired risotto.   Of course as I was making it I did say to the hubby "Risotto is usually a dish that gets Top Chef contestants eliminated."  Yeah no pressure for me!

The risotto turned out lovely and creamy so I felt this was a good one to share.

Springtime Risotto

1/4 lb Morels (though any mushroom would be fine)
3 good size ramps chopped including the leaves (if you can't find garlic and spring onions mixed would work)
1 supermarket bundle of asparagus cut in bit size pieces
1 cup Arborio Rice
1 cup of good white wine (I used a semi sweet Spanish wine)
2 cups stock (I used chicken since this was a side dish to chicken, I would normally use vegetable)
1 pat of butter
olive oil
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese (grated)
salt and pepper for taste

In a large pan drizzle in the oil and butter (Adjust to the type of pan you are using). Add in the asparagus and ramps.  Saute for a few minutes then add in the mushrooms.   Season at this time with the salt & pepper.

When the mushrooms have slightly softened, add the rice.  Saute for about 3 to 4 minutes.  Add1 cup of the stock.  Stir until the liquid is absorbed.  Next add the 1 cup of wine and stir until absorbed (I add the wine in between the cups stock since it layers the flavor and you get more of the wine's fruitiness).   Add the final cup of stock and continue to stir until the rice has absorbed the liquid.  Test the rice to see if it is cooked as you may need to add some more liquid.

As the rice is creamy add in the cheese and a little more pepper.  Serve hot! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.

Thai Inspired Lettuce Wrap

This has been a crazy week for me.   I have been in rehearsals and now performances of Carmina Burana with the MN Orchestra.  (FYI - there are still tickets for performances on Saturday and Sunday) Since I am singing, I do not want to have a heavy dinner.  It just makes the high notes flat!   So I am opting for a more substantial late lunch.   I love Thai food and have been craving it but since it can be heavy I felt inspired to create these lettuce wraps. Thai Inspired Lettuce Wraps Ingredients 1 tsp ginger (grated on a microplane) 2 cloves garlic (grated on a microplane) 2 tsps of red chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen Roasted Red Chili Paste) (feel free to add more) 1 lb ground turkey breast Canola Oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan For the wrap Romaine Lettuce Leaves Cilantro Radishes sliced Fresh Lime In a medium skill, add the oil, ginger, garlic and chili paste.   Stir until the oil gets slightly hot and the ...

A One Pot Wonder

There are days when I come home, I don't feel like pulling out all the pots and pans to make a Michelin worthy meal.  In fact it is almost every day that I feel like something fast and easy.   Although we do have Broder's Deli on spreed dial, I have been inclined to make one pot dishes reminiscent of my days as a poor student.   Unlike here in America, where as an undergrad I could sustain myself on Kraft mac n cheese or ramen noodles, in the UK students lived primarily on beans and toast or beans on baked potatoes or ... well tinned beans on anything.   Let's just say I needed a little variety.    So I learned to be resourceful and make a one pot dish that could be stretched over a few days or for a multitude of people.  This is sort of based on something my Nana use to make with rice, mushrooms, chicken stock and any spare vegetable she had around (normally peas). My One Pot Wonder 1lb ground turkey 1 small onion chopped 1 c...