Skip to main content

Minneapolis Food Trucks - The DFI Addition

Since being diagnosed with DFI, I have found it is hard to find a good quick lunch downtown.   Most of the people behind the counters cannot tell you what the ingredients are in many of the dishes they are selling.   Thus began my love affair with the Food Truck revolution.   Each day there are 4 to 5 food trucks parked along the street by office and they have opened up a new world of lunch edibles for me.    One of the great things about the food trucks is everything is made right there and you get to ask questions and know what is exactly in the food they are preparing. 

My first experience with this revolution was Chef Shack.  And like any first love, you keep coming back to the memory of the magical moment you first tried their food.   But because I could only see them on the weekend, I began to stray towards other vendors, savoring more and more the wonders that were being made in these tiny spaces.  Oh the magical flavor combinations and perfect for this DFI foodie.

Here is my list of my favorite food carts and a sampling of what you should try:

Chef Shack
I have yet to have anything bad from here.  The bison burger with egg has become a must have for me BUT if the donut truck is around .... run fast and get a bag of the hot doughy love you are about to experience.

Twisted Sister
First these guys are fun!   Try the Trailer Park Dog.  Orange nacho cheese with chips of your choice crumbled on (Lays are the only ones that don't have corn syrup and the safest bet)

Hola Arepas
Who knew a small package could hold so much food.   Try the Cuban ... you won't regret it.

Dandelion Kitchen
I love the roasted chicken sandwich but nothing compares to their home made soups. 

World Street Kitchen
Yum Yum bowls are very popular but I do love their hummus.

Vellee
This truck has become a new love.  The burrito stuffed with short ribs and kimchi melts in my mouth but a must have is the pork spring rolls.

There are still more to explore and I will be hunting them down until the Food Truck season comes to a close.
 
Here is a chance for you to come and explore these wonderful Food Trucks.  On October 1st at TCF Stadium, 300 Wines, 40 Chefs, 10 Food Trucks All in 2 Days At Taste! MPLS.ST.PAUL’S ULTIMATE WINE & DINE.  

If you would like to go check out this link and use the code AMY to get 46% off on your tickets.
http://www.mspmag.com/promotions/wherewe%27llbe/taste11/default.asp

The Street Food Vendors who are participating will be:

Gai Gai Thai, Chef Shack, Turkey-to-Go, Gastrotruck, Vellee Deli, World Street Kitchen, The Twisted Sister House of Hunger, Smack Shack, She Royal, Scratch, Cupcakes On The Go, and NateDogs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS Rant

Since being diagnosed with DFI, I have been reading labels more closely.   Not to say I didn't before but now I am reading labels on things you would never suspect HFCS to be added in.   So here is my rant.   Why does HFCS need to be added to beef consome, saltine crackers, cream of mushroom soup???   Was this how the recipe was intended??   I have made beef consome and mushroom soup from scratch and never once did the recipe call for HFCS.    Why does it need to be added to Crystal Light drink mixes?   Isn't this suppose to be a low calorie drink that encourages people to drink more water.   How can this be helpful?   I really hope the food industry becomes wise to exactly what adding this to products that don't need it is doing to our diets.    Yes there is some personal responsibility and we should be informed consumers.  BUT COME ON!!   I would have never guessed HFCS would be in these items until I really read the label.   I even have to ask about the coating on my med

GF HFCS Freedom

When I was first diagnosed with DFI, I wasn't sure how shopping and eating were going to be.   I have learned grocery shopping does take what feels like 5 times longer, since I need to read every ingredients and figure out the fructose to glucose ratio.  Luckily the gluten free aspect is easier.   Though I still need to read the ingredients to make HFCS, Agave or any type sugar alcohol doesn't appear.  If it weren't for places like the Linden Hills Co-op, Whole Foods and Lunds Byerlys, I think this would be more difficult.   Favorite products so far are (please note these are products that fit the DFI lifestyle first) Namaste Brownie Mix.  Simply Organic Pumpkin Cake Whole Foods Prairie Bread.   (Most GF breads are very dry but this one is really flavorful) Quinoa Elbow Macaroni Liberte Yogurts (even the ones that are on the DFI no list seem to be fine for me ... knock on wood) Mexican Coca Cola - believe it or not this is made with sugar and not HFCS. More will b

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.