Skip to main content

Chocolate Chip Cookies - Gluten Free and DFI friendly

Since I found out about having DFI, I have been wondering how will this work with baking.   I love to bake and my husband loves it when I bake.   I have a favorite baking cookbook, The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.  Seeing as their recipes are not gluten free or totally DFI friendly, I decided to experiment and see what I can do.   I started with something simple and well known in flavor to all .... Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I made a batch and have to say they taste pretty good.    A few things I learned, they take a little longer to cook and they don't look as brown as the nestle version.

So here is the recipe with my adaptations.

Magnolia Chocolate Chip Cookies - made Gluten Free and DFI Friendly

1 1/2 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mixed (I used Bob's)
1/4 tsp Xanthum Gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 sticks of unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Raw sugar (replaces the light brown sugar since this is not a DFI friendly sugar)
1 large egg room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I plan to be a little more generous)

Preheat the oven at 350
In a bowl combine the flour, xanthum gum, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
In a mixture cream the butter and sugar together.  Takes about 5 minutes.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix well on a higher speed (adds more air into liquid).  Add the dry mixture and mix well.  Add the chocolate chips.    Drop the batter on a parchment paper lined pan.  Bake for 10 to 15 minutes depending on your over.

Enjoy with milk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.

Thai Inspired Lettuce Wrap

This has been a crazy week for me.   I have been in rehearsals and now performances of Carmina Burana with the MN Orchestra.  (FYI - there are still tickets for performances on Saturday and Sunday) Since I am singing, I do not want to have a heavy dinner.  It just makes the high notes flat!   So I am opting for a more substantial late lunch.   I love Thai food and have been craving it but since it can be heavy I felt inspired to create these lettuce wraps. Thai Inspired Lettuce Wraps Ingredients 1 tsp ginger (grated on a microplane) 2 cloves garlic (grated on a microplane) 2 tsps of red chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen Roasted Red Chili Paste) (feel free to add more) 1 lb ground turkey breast Canola Oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan For the wrap Romaine Lettuce Leaves Cilantro Radishes sliced Fresh Lime In a medium skill, add the oil, ginger, garlic and chili paste.   Stir until the oil gets slightly hot and the ...

A One Pot Wonder

There are days when I come home, I don't feel like pulling out all the pots and pans to make a Michelin worthy meal.  In fact it is almost every day that I feel like something fast and easy.   Although we do have Broder's Deli on spreed dial, I have been inclined to make one pot dishes reminiscent of my days as a poor student.   Unlike here in America, where as an undergrad I could sustain myself on Kraft mac n cheese or ramen noodles, in the UK students lived primarily on beans and toast or beans on baked potatoes or ... well tinned beans on anything.   Let's just say I needed a little variety.    So I learned to be resourceful and make a one pot dish that could be stretched over a few days or for a multitude of people.  This is sort of based on something my Nana use to make with rice, mushrooms, chicken stock and any spare vegetable she had around (normally peas). My One Pot Wonder 1lb ground turkey 1 small onion chopped 1 c...