Skip to main content

Make It Easy

I really love to cook but when the day has been stressful and the weather is hot, the last thing I want to do is slave over a stove.   I will admit, I take short cuts.  Yes I buy fresh pasta rather than make my own.  I also buy frozen herbs.   I first found them at Whole Foods but thought they were way to expensive and then I found them at Costco for much lower price.   The Costco pack included garlic (x2), basil (x2), parsley and cilantro.

Don't get me wrong I prefer to use fresh ingredients but these come in a pitch and can save me from the temptation of ordering delivery.  Time and money my friends!



Here is something I made and it took only 15 minutes.  This is faster than delivery and much healthier.

Garlic Shrimp Linguine

Ingredients
1 pack of fresh linguine
1/2 lb of raw shrimp (already cleaned)
3 cubes of frozen Doret Garlic (equals 3 cloves)
3 cubes of frozen Doret Basil (equals 3 tsps of fresh)
tsp of red crushed pepper (use to your taste)
1 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
Olive Oil
salt & pepper for taste
Parmesan cheese for topping.

Directions
Follow the directions of the packet of fresh pasta for cooking.   Remember it takes less time than dry pasta.

In a saute pan, add the olive oil, garlic, basil & crushed pepper.  This will melt the garlic & basil & infuse the oil with the flavors.   Next add the cherry tomatoes.  Cook for a few minutes & finally add in the shrimp.   Cook until the shrimp is pink & cooked through.  As it is cooking if it looks dry add a little water.

Once the pasta is cooked add it to the pan with the shrimp mixture & combine the ingredients.  Serve with a topping of Parmesan cheese.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.

Thai Inspired Lettuce Wrap

This has been a crazy week for me.   I have been in rehearsals and now performances of Carmina Burana with the MN Orchestra.  (FYI - there are still tickets for performances on Saturday and Sunday) Since I am singing, I do not want to have a heavy dinner.  It just makes the high notes flat!   So I am opting for a more substantial late lunch.   I love Thai food and have been craving it but since it can be heavy I felt inspired to create these lettuce wraps. Thai Inspired Lettuce Wraps Ingredients 1 tsp ginger (grated on a microplane) 2 cloves garlic (grated on a microplane) 2 tsps of red chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen Roasted Red Chili Paste) (feel free to add more) 1 lb ground turkey breast Canola Oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan For the wrap Romaine Lettuce Leaves Cilantro Radishes sliced Fresh Lime In a medium skill, add the oil, ginger, garlic and chili paste.   Stir until the oil gets slightly hot and the ...

A One Pot Wonder

There are days when I come home, I don't feel like pulling out all the pots and pans to make a Michelin worthy meal.  In fact it is almost every day that I feel like something fast and easy.   Although we do have Broder's Deli on spreed dial, I have been inclined to make one pot dishes reminiscent of my days as a poor student.   Unlike here in America, where as an undergrad I could sustain myself on Kraft mac n cheese or ramen noodles, in the UK students lived primarily on beans and toast or beans on baked potatoes or ... well tinned beans on anything.   Let's just say I needed a little variety.    So I learned to be resourceful and make a one pot dish that could be stretched over a few days or for a multitude of people.  This is sort of based on something my Nana use to make with rice, mushrooms, chicken stock and any spare vegetable she had around (normally peas). My One Pot Wonder 1lb ground turkey 1 small onion chopped 1 c...