Skip to main content

Kale & Spinach Soup

I was reading an article on CNN.Com about this super food soup that had Kale and spinach and thought this sounded great.   I told my other half that I was thinking of making it and he made a face.   He stated that it might not be good.  I said it didn't seem any different than the Naked smoothie he liked.  But he pointed out the amount of juices added to sweeten it and not be so kaley or spinachy.    So I started to think about another soup I love to make from the Flexitarian cookbook.   I thought maybe I can combine the two recipes and come up with something that would be hit with the hubby and still have the healthy super food effect. 

Kale & Spinach Soup

1 large Vadalia onion sliced (this is a sweeter option)
3 cloves of garlic
3 medium to large carrots diced
1/3 cup of olive oil
1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 clam shell of spinach
1 clam shell of kale (can be purchased at Whole Foods or by Earthbound)
1 32 oz box of vegetable low sodium stock
1/2 cup of basmati rice
1 cup of goat's cheese (optional if you are lactose intolerant)
salt & pepper to taste.

In a large soup pot, heat up the olive and add the onion, garlic, carrots and cayenne pepper.  Cook until the veggies are tender.  Add in the stock and rice.   Next add in the kale and spinach.  Let it wilt down.  Add the salt and pepper periodically to your taste.

Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer.  Approximately 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.

Turn off the heat and using an immersion stick, begin to blend the soup down.  If you are adding the goat's cheese add mid point of the blending.
Serve with a good bread and a squeeze of lemon juice to bring out the flavor even more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.

Thai Inspired Lettuce Wrap

This has been a crazy week for me.   I have been in rehearsals and now performances of Carmina Burana with the MN Orchestra.  (FYI - there are still tickets for performances on Saturday and Sunday) Since I am singing, I do not want to have a heavy dinner.  It just makes the high notes flat!   So I am opting for a more substantial late lunch.   I love Thai food and have been craving it but since it can be heavy I felt inspired to create these lettuce wraps. Thai Inspired Lettuce Wraps Ingredients 1 tsp ginger (grated on a microplane) 2 cloves garlic (grated on a microplane) 2 tsps of red chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen Roasted Red Chili Paste) (feel free to add more) 1 lb ground turkey breast Canola Oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan For the wrap Romaine Lettuce Leaves Cilantro Radishes sliced Fresh Lime In a medium skill, add the oil, ginger, garlic and chili paste.   Stir until the oil gets slightly hot and the ...

A One Pot Wonder

There are days when I come home, I don't feel like pulling out all the pots and pans to make a Michelin worthy meal.  In fact it is almost every day that I feel like something fast and easy.   Although we do have Broder's Deli on spreed dial, I have been inclined to make one pot dishes reminiscent of my days as a poor student.   Unlike here in America, where as an undergrad I could sustain myself on Kraft mac n cheese or ramen noodles, in the UK students lived primarily on beans and toast or beans on baked potatoes or ... well tinned beans on anything.   Let's just say I needed a little variety.    So I learned to be resourceful and make a one pot dish that could be stretched over a few days or for a multitude of people.  This is sort of based on something my Nana use to make with rice, mushrooms, chicken stock and any spare vegetable she had around (normally peas). My One Pot Wonder 1lb ground turkey 1 small onion chopped 1 c...