Skip to main content

Mushroom Tart ala Me

What is a girl to do?   I have eggs, puff pastry squares, mushrooms, and goat's cheese AND a hungry husband.   Why dig up my inner Donna Reed and Barefoot Contessa and make a mushroom tart.   Ok not the Donna Reed part.   I don't think I could ever cook in pearls.   Seriously though we needed a quick dinner and I had defrosted the puff pastry for another event but never used it.   I had seen a recipe in the Heavy Table for a beet tart but didn't have most of the ingredients.  Since P and I love mushrooms and I just pick some up, I decided to make mushroom tarts.   It was a big hit that needs to be shared.

Mushroom Tart

8 oz mushrooms sliced (I used a mixed medley of exotic mushrooms I got at Whole Foods)
4oz goat's cheese
2 large eggs beaten
1 clove of garlic grated
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
6 puff pastry squares (I used a Kosher version since it did not have any HFCS added)

Preheat the oven to 360 degrees.

In a pan saute the olive oil, garlic and mushrooms.  Once cooked set aside to slightly cool.

On a parchment paper line baking sheet, space the 6 squares of puff pastry.  With a fork, pierce in several places in the middle of each sheet.  Do not pierce the edges as they need to rise in the cooking process.

In the area where you pierced the puff pastry, place the mushrooms.   Then add crumble in the goat's cheese (I didn't use the full 4 oz when I made this just use your judgement and palate sense).   With a tablespoon, spoon some of the beaten egg on each of the mixture areas (don't worry if it runs a little, it will still taste great).

Place in the oven and cook for up to 20 minutes.


Serve with a salad or any side you like.   This would also make a great item for a brunch or appetizer.

 

Comments

  1. I found you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this mushroom tart widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about mushroom tart,thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HFCS - Stop from relabeling to Corn Sugar

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2011/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-not-corn-sugar-corn-refiners-association-.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS Please read the link above.   I am asking people to contact their Senate and House Reps to stop this from happening.    This will cause a lot of issues with people who have DFI as we can have corn sugar but not HFCS.   This will mean we may never really know what is in our food.  Let's hope the FDA will reconsider this proposal.  Thanks is advance for your help to stop this.

Thai Inspired Lettuce Wrap

This has been a crazy week for me.   I have been in rehearsals and now performances of Carmina Burana with the MN Orchestra.  (FYI - there are still tickets for performances on Saturday and Sunday) Since I am singing, I do not want to have a heavy dinner.  It just makes the high notes flat!   So I am opting for a more substantial late lunch.   I love Thai food and have been craving it but since it can be heavy I felt inspired to create these lettuce wraps. Thai Inspired Lettuce Wraps Ingredients 1 tsp ginger (grated on a microplane) 2 cloves garlic (grated on a microplane) 2 tsps of red chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen Roasted Red Chili Paste) (feel free to add more) 1 lb ground turkey breast Canola Oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan For the wrap Romaine Lettuce Leaves Cilantro Radishes sliced Fresh Lime In a medium skill, add the oil, ginger, garlic and chili paste.   Stir until the oil gets slightly hot and the ...

A One Pot Wonder

There are days when I come home, I don't feel like pulling out all the pots and pans to make a Michelin worthy meal.  In fact it is almost every day that I feel like something fast and easy.   Although we do have Broder's Deli on spreed dial, I have been inclined to make one pot dishes reminiscent of my days as a poor student.   Unlike here in America, where as an undergrad I could sustain myself on Kraft mac n cheese or ramen noodles, in the UK students lived primarily on beans and toast or beans on baked potatoes or ... well tinned beans on anything.   Let's just say I needed a little variety.    So I learned to be resourceful and make a one pot dish that could be stretched over a few days or for a multitude of people.  This is sort of based on something my Nana use to make with rice, mushrooms, chicken stock and any spare vegetable she had around (normally peas). My One Pot Wonder 1lb ground turkey 1 small onion chopped 1 c...